Cesar Chavez Public Charter School for Public Policy
ABOUT CESAR CHAVEZ PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOL FOR PUBLIC POLICY
Cesar Chavez Public Charter School for Public Policy has served District of Columbia youth for more than two decades, providing a rigorous college preparatory curriculum, a unique public policy program, and a supportive learning environment with comprehensive support services. Located in the Parkside community in Northeast Washington, DC, Chavez serves youth in grades 6-12.
To learn more about Chavez, visit chavezschools.org.
Teachers are highly effective and dedicated educators committed to the mission of Chavez Schools. Chavez teachers are focused on building relationships with students and are accountable for their students’ academic growth and the school’s success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set and reinforce clear expectations and routines that are aligned with the school’s overall vision
- Develop and implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards
- Thoughtfully plan daily lessons and implement specific strategies to meet the needs of all students, providing extra support, enrichment, or variation of work when necessary
- Develops instructional plans that are engaging, rigorous and ensure all students achieve mastery of the stated learning objectives
- Demonstrate strong content knowledge
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards and diagnose areas of student misunderstanding
- Lessons and assignments are rigorous and demand that students think critically
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices
- Consistently use assessment data to drive instruction and plan activities
- Be accountable for students’ academic growth and increase each individual student’s achievement
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented learning environment
- Establishes high academic and behavior expectations for every student
- Fosters respectful interactions between and among students and staff
- Collaborate and engage with peers and administrators to improve instructional practice and achieve student learning goals
- Provide additional instruction and support to students outside of content area to achieve school-wide goals and address student needs
- Reflect on successes and areas of growth as a teacher, seek to improve performance, and respond to feedback
- Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, professional development and school-wide functions
- Invest parents and families in their children’s academic success through regular communication
- Perform additional duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE SKILL REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree
- Achieved Highly Qualified designation as defined by Chavez Schools
- Demonstrated mastery of the applicable subject matter
- Experience facilitating a student-centered classroom (cooperative learning, inquiry or project- based learning)
- Strong instructional skills and classroom management
- Demonstrated success in using data to monitor student understanding and drive practice
- Exercise excellent judgment in decision-making
- Think strategically and proactively problem-solve
- Work with only the highest ethical standards
- Unrelenting commitment to students, self, and school’s constant learning and development
- Ability to self-reflect on teaching practices and be responsive to feedback
In accordance with Mayor's Order 2021-109, Cesar Chavez Public Charter Schools for Public Policy requires all staff to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons.
ADA Specifications: This position will be based at Chavez Parkside. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move about the building. In addition, travel to other sites could be required, frequency to depend on the needs of the school and position. The employee is regularly required to speak audibly, see, listen actively, and use hands to handle objects while performing the duties of this job. This position requires the ability to use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and filing cabinets. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
AAP/EEO Statement: Chavez Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Chavez Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Chavez Schools expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Chavez Schools’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.