Founded in 2004 and named for the first African American woman to earn her PhD in Mathematics, the award-winning E.L. Haynes Public Charter School serves more than 1,135 students in grades Pre-K3 – 12. E.L. Haynes operates two campuses in the Petworth neighborhood of Washington, DC, and offers a rigorous educational program designed to prepare students to succeed in the college of their choice.
The Development Manager secures and stewards support from competitive public grants, foundations, corporations, and individuals, as well as oversees development operations. A full-time, 12-month position, the Development Manager reports to the Senior Director of Development and Communications, and will be a critical partner in ensuring that we raise more than $1.1 million annually to support one of the highest performing charter schools in Washington, DC.
In the following areas, the Development Manager will:
GOALS AND STRATEGY
• Work with the Sr. Director of Development and Communications to develop a comprehensive multi-year fundraising strategy, including metrics, roles, goals, and tracking structures
INSTITUTIONAL GIVING (35%)
• Track and manage the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship process for all corporate, foundation, and government funders, including writing grant proposals and reports
• Work closely with the Finance Department to ensure appropriate grant stewardship, reporting, and financial tracking
• Develop and maintain relationships with foundation funders
• Perform corporate, foundation, and government grant research
• Create contact reports for all corporate, foundation, and government engagements
• Create and maintain institutional donor files
INDIVIDUAL GIVING (20%):
• Develop and execute a plan to engage, solicit, and steward individual donors and prospects
• Organize and manage comprehensive list of individual donors
• Identify and research prospects, and segment and analyze donor lists
• Develop vehicles to steward and acknowledge individual donors
• Create contact reports and reminders
• Create and maintain all individual donor files
• With Sr. Director of Development and Communications, develop direct mail/email strategy and campaigns, and create fundraising appeals, as well as track direct mail success rates
• Develop and lead annual family giving campaign
• Serve as staff liaison in parent fundraising activities
• Develop and lead family fundraising activities
• Work with leadership to create a slate of events to engage donors and prospects and raise funds
• Develop and manage invitation and RSVP lists
• Manage all event logistics, including venues, catering, production, volunteers, set-up and flow
• Create and track events in development database
DEVELOPMENT OPERATIONS (20%):
• Oversee gift management process, including developing, implementing, and managing processes and procedures for gift entry, acknowledgment, and stewardship. Ensure timely processing of data for acknowledgement letters.
• Oversee implementation of Network for Good, E.L. Haynes’ new donor management system, including developing user manual, and updated sets of data entry procedures, and training and supporting the team in using the new system.
• Organize and ensure appropriate retention of gift and donor documentation.
• Establish regular, ongoing systems check to maintain data integrity.
• Ensure that gifts are recorded and processed in a way that reflects the donor’s intention and aligns with appropriate categorization for appeals and funds
• Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly, and other necessary reports for distribution and perform monthly reconciliation with the Finance Team
• Assist E.L. Haynes’ Marketing and Communications Manager in ensuring website is up to date with donor information, and in the creation of the Annual Report
• Work with the Marketing and Communications Manager in producing quarterly newsletter for donors an external stakeholders
• Keep school staff updated about fundraising activities in the school
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT / PARTNERSHIPS (5%):
• Build and maintain relationships with community partners, local businesses, and other organizations to further E.L. Haynes philanthropic goals
• Make sure that teachers and staff are supported in fundraising, when necessary
• Connect and build relationships with development leaders at other DC schools
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT / DOCUMENTATION:
• Take advantage of professional development to learn new knowledge and skills.
• Design and implement tools to measure donor engagement and to evaluate the effectiveness of programs
KEY SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
• Commitment to equity
• Strong writing skills, with an attention to detail and dedication to excellence
• Experience working with NFG, Salesforce, Constant Contact, or other donor databases and email clients strongly desired
• Spanish language skills a plus
Salary & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary depending on experience and qualifications. Our benefits package includes:
• 403(b) retirement account with 3% employer contribution vested after 2 years
• Medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance
• Personal, sick, and parental leave
E.L. Haynes is an equal-opportunity employer, and it is our policy to recruit, hire, and promote for all jobs on the basis of merit, qualifications, skills, and competence. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. E.L. Haynes will fully comply with all employment-related and other laws. All employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of the individual's qualifications as related to the requirement of the position being filled.
Please visit the Join Our Team page on the E.L. Haynes website (https://www.elhaynes.org/apply-for-a-job) to apply. If you have any questions about the role please contact Manuela Monsalve, Talent Acquisition Manager at email@example.com