Education Data Engineer
Education Data Engineer Job Announcement
At EmpowerK12, we believe all students, regardless of race, gender, disability level or socioeconomic status should have equal access to a high-quality education. Our mission is to empower education leaders and teachers with the right information, relevant skills, and proper systems needed to continuously improve their educational institutions. To that end, we provide continuous improvement, strategic data planning, data coaching, dashboarding, and research & evaluation services. As part of our dashboarding work, we have developed a data platform including ETL, a common data warehouse structure, and a comprehensive set of dashboards. We also plan to phase-in predictive analytics. Our team supports over 40 schools across 19 school networks, and we strive to support DC’s broader cross-sector community through citywide research projects such as our work honoring Bold schools.
Our Team Culture
We are a tight-knit team that prides ourselves in figuring out how to overcome problems in pursuit of solutions for our partners. This includes doing anything it takes to serve our partners’ needs. Our personal interests vary from DIY home renovation, astronomy, and March Madness to reality TV and probability modeling. We have check-ins every day and happy hours where we play codenames, trivia, and games to get to know each other. We are constantly learning new skills and sharing our learning to grow as individuals and as an organization.
We are a team of full-stack data engineers and analysts who are looking to take our data platform and analyses to the next level. We are at a critical inflection point in our growth as we seek to double in size over the next two years in order to maximize our impact on the lives of students. We need to ensure our data systems are scalable, highly efficient, and create new insights into student success. Our new team member will bring specialized expertise to build out our skills as an organization and develop tools that drive dramatic gains in student growth and achievement. This position will be critical to helping us achieve our technical goals and hence our mission.
Commitment to educational equity and EmpowerK12’s mission is important for this role. Direct experience in education is preferred, but we will consider candidates who demonstrate commitment to our mission in other ways as well.
The ideal candidate will have experience building efficient, error-proof data pipelines and warehouses. This position will report to EmpowerK12’s managing director and is primarily internal-facing with some client-facing work.
• Move our data platform from v1.0 to v2.0 by increasing our ETL scalability and developing error-proof pipelines
• Ensure all the data our partners see in their data warehouses and Power BI dashboards is error free
• Develop robust, modular data systems using the Microsoft Azure stack
• Create new methods for educators to efficiently input and modify data during meetings and analyze that data in real time
• Train our data analysts and specialists on the new tools you create
• Bachelor’s degree required
• At least 4 years of data engineering experience strongly preferred
• Meticulous about writing modular, well-commented SQL code
• Systematic thinker with a strong attention to detail who is skilled at cleaning data, error-handling, and creating error-proof ETL pipelines
• Understands how to design flexible, robust data models to power interactive visualizations by collaborating with partners to identify critical metrics and user needs
• Strong communicator who can listen to the needs of teammates and partners as well as explain the systems you build
• Excited to work in a startup environment where challenges arise daily and where your ideas will take our services to the next level
• Self-directed, self-starter with a willingness to own high-priority projects and do whatever it takes to meet partner and organizational needs
• Desire for feedback; commitment to self-development and to improving skills
• Tenacity & a willingness to ask for help; understands that challenges are a signal to work smarter, collaboratively involve others, and creatively problem solve
• Effective project manager with ability to drive projects to completion and who is comfortable managing multiple priorities amid ambiguity
• Collaborative team player who is excited about building strong relationships among diverse communities
We value a diversity of backgrounds; we will consider candidates that do not meet the listed education and experience requirements if they can demonstrate the qualifications listed above through alternative career paths.
• We offer a generous suite of benefits including PTO, SmartTrip, 401(K), short term-disability, long-term disability, life, health, dental, and vision insurance
• We anticipate a salary range or $85,000-115,000 commensurate with qualifications, experience, and fit
If you wish to apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.