English Teacher at Maya Angelou Academy (DC Jail)
Are you passionate about teaching and making a difference in others’ lives? Do you like to bring creative ideas to the classroom? Do you want to be in a school community where you feel supported? If so, we’re looking for you….
Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation's mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings’ secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
Our mission is to provide a safe, nurturing and mutually respectful environment that motivates and prepares each student to fulfill his academic or career potential. With the support of a wide circle of caring adults, students will develop the skills they need to make sound decisions and lead rewarding lives.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at www.seeforever.org.
Maya Angelou Academy @ DC Jail is an alternative school within a Central Detention Facility within the DC Department of Corrections. The school is designed to meet the needs of students who are currently detained by the justice system regardless of academic career history and current academic standing.
The Maya Angelou Schools is seeking a full-time English teacher for the 2021-2022 school year. The English teacher must be willing to teach a range of English subject areas including: English I, English II, English III, English IV, and/or Reading and Language Arts. With the support of a special education teacher, this position will also support students with special learning or emotional needs to ensure that they receive the level of instruction that they need to enable them to succeed. The worksite and tour of duty for this position is located in a secured setting.(IYP Inspiring Youth Program)
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
● Developing and implementing unit plans and assessment that are aligned both with Common Core standards and with the school-wide curricular framework at the Maya Angelou Schools.
● Developing and implementing age appropriate, culturally responsive teaching practices related to the English courses
● Working with technology and computer-based programs to support scholars’ individual learning plans
● Creating a classroom and school environment that features a rich diversity of resources, engages student interest, promotes student leadership and stimulates student learning
● Developing differentiated learning plans, materials and handouts for diverse learners in a small classroom setting
● Having thoughtful approaches to teaching concepts and sparking student interest while also imparting essential factual knowledge
● Managing administrative assignments effectively and with a high level of professionalism and integrity, ensuring on time submission of deliverables
● Participating in interdisciplinary team meetings for all students
● Modeling and contributing to a school culture of hope and high expectations for achievement
● Bachelor’s degree in education or subject field (required)
● Teaching certification in District of Columbia/another reciprocal jurisdiction or provisional certification (required)
● Experience working with incarcerated or opportunity youth (preferred) ● Familiarity with research-based instructional strategies
● An unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic skills, and can develop pro-social and culturally normative behaviors that will enable them to succeed at school and beyond
● Firm belief that all students have strengths and talents and that a good teacher helps students find these and use them to address weaknesses or overcome fears.
Salary and Benefits
Our salaries are comparable to those of other public schools in the District of Columbia area. In addition, See Forever offers a robust benefits plan, including health care coverage, HSA/FSA and dependent care accounts, voluntary dental, vision, short term and long term disability options, commuter benefits, a 401k retirement savings plan, student loan refinancing options, and the opportunity to positively impact students with a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
At the Maya Angelou Schools, the key to our success is rooted in building trusting, respectful and nurturing relationships with each other. We strive to create safe spaces for all to be able to reach their limitless potential. We are at our best when we work together to ensure the unique needs of our community are met. We empower each other to grow successfully so we can see forever! This is how we live the Maya Way, even when no one is watching.
Core Beliefs and Desired Characteristics
Candidates should possess an unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic skills, and can develop pro-social and culturally normative behaviors that will enable them to succeed at school and beyond. Candidates should also believe that all students have strengths and talents and that good teachers help students find them and use them to address weaknesses or overcome fears. In addition, candidates should exhibit the following characteristics:
● Honesty & Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
● Analytical skills: able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it; exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights ● Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
● Strategic thinking/visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way; determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
● Flexibility/adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; copes effectively with complexity and change
● Enthusiasm: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has can do attitude.
See Forever is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse staff is a better, more effective staff.
If you are interested in applying for a teaching position, please submit your resume and cover letter here: www.seeforever.org/careers/. Resumes and cover letters should be in MS Word or PDF.