Founding Extended Learning Teacher
About the School
Mission: The mission of Global Citizens PCS is to inspire and prepare the next generation of global citizens. We will do this by supporting students, ages 3-11, to reach their full academic and leadership potential in a nurturing learning environment. We will immerse them in the Mandarin and Spanish languages, promote the value of diversity, and equip them with the knowledge, skills, and mindsets they need to contribute to a better world.
Vision: We envision academic excellence, language acquisition, and authentic inclusion of a diverse student population. We will build a strong community of learners who are confident in their ability to communicate in the Chinese, Spanish, and English languages. Our children will use language to liberate and advocate for themselves and those most marginalized. All of our children will develop a sense of self and a sense of belonging, build empathy and emotional resilience, learn to understand and appreciate diverse perspectives, and challenge themselves to take action to improve the world.
Philosophy: We believe that all cultures have richness and value, deserve respect and consideration, and do not belong to a hierarchy. We are aware of white supremacy culture and the systemic oppression that exists – even in the current education system. At Global Citizens PCS, we will critically examine our biases and then actively work on counteracting these biases and disrupting the dominant narrative. We will continually examine our teaching and curricula to ensure we incorporate multiple perspectives from diverse cultural backgrounds and life experiences, including the experiences of our students, families, communities, and staff. We will create an environment in which all students will yearn for intercultural connections and see their benefits.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) are our core values and central to our learning, development, and growth:
- Diversity: All children, of all backgrounds, learning abilities, and physical capacities, will thrive and contribute to a positive, inclusive, and supportive learning community.
- Equity: All children are capable of reaching high levels of academic excellence and whole child wellness. Thus, all children will have the opportunity to gain fluency in more than one language/culture and learn from and with each other. All children will be held to high expectations – ensuring equally high outcomes for all and removing the predictability of success or failure that currently correlates with social, cultural, or socio-economic factors.
- Inclusion: We will live our core value of diversity by creating an environment of connection, belonging, empowerment, and respect – where the richness of different ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives are harnessed to create value.
The core values live in our Global Citizens PCS educational model through four key pillars: Globally Competent Bilingualism, Academic Excellence, Social Justice, and Whole Child Wellness.
Founding Extended Learning Teacher Job Description
The Extended Learning Teacher is responsible for ensuring students are safe, learning, and excited about the program each day. In coordination with theExtended Learning Coordinator, the Extended Learning Teacher works to ensure students have an organized and robust r afterschool program. The program will incorporate yoga, music, dance, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese languages, Robotics, and STEM. The Extended Learning Teacher will report directly to the Extended Learning Coordinator.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Follow the daily schedule provided by the Extended Learning Coordinator and keep students engaged in fun, hands-on, learning activities
- Ensure the Extended Learning Coordinator has attendance sheets to account for present and absent students
- Set and hold students to extremely high academic and behavioral standards
- Be available to support other Extended Learning Teachers and Extended Learning Coordinator when needed
- Ensure the school culture is protected in the program by creating a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning environment where students are excited and invested in academic achievement
- Implement systems and set and reinforce clear expectations and routines that are aligned with the school's overall vision
- Ensure students are safe at all times. This includes, but is not limited to monitoring students in the classroom, hallways, at recess, and during other school-related activities
- Be available to attend weekly staff meetings with the Extended Learning Coordinator
- Distribute snacks to students in the classroom each day
- Be prepared to work for before school programming (6:45 am - 8:15 am) and after school programming (2:45 pm - 6:15 pm)
- Also be prepared to work on Wednesdays (½ day for students) from 12:45 pm - 6: 15 pm
This is a part-time position with an hourly rate of $20.00 an hour.
We are Deeply Committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Global Citizens PCS is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. We strongly encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals with whom we are in contact with are not discriminated against on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, disability, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, military status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other personal or professional status.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click “Apply for This Job” on the top right. We’ll review applications as we receive them until the position is filled. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Global Citizens PCS is committed to building a team that reflects the varied backgrounds and experiences of the students we seek to serve. It is important to us that you use your application materials to clearly delineate ways in which your background and experience align with Global Citizens PCS’s core values and key pillars, including our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.