High School Chemistry Teacher (School Year 23-24)
Capital City is looking for a dedicated and talented High School Chemistry Teacher for the 2023-2024 school year.
This is a 10-month full-time or a position , which is exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Some of the many and varied responsibilities of science teachers include:
- Planning/teaching daily classes for 60-90 students taught in four block periods per day (class size 12-20 students).
- Utilizing a workshop model to differentiate instruction and promote student engagement
- Developing learning expeditions, curriculum, and long-term projects
- Regularly assessing student progress and using data to plan for instruction
- Meeting and planning at least weekly with a co-teacher and a grade-level team
- Serving as an advisor to 10-14 students that involves leading a daily advisory, helping to develop the social curriculum, supporting advisees with college planning and regularly communicating with parents
- Collaborating with staff and students to implement consistent EL structures and develop traditions at our school
- Involving students in fieldwork and service that deepens understanding and interest
- Supporting students with completing portfolios and meeting passage requirements
- Attending a summer institute and weekly professional development sessions
- Completing narrative progress reports
- Certification to teach AP courses is highly desired
Capital City seeks to employ experienced, credentialed teachers. Ideal candidates have a Master’s degree and 2+ years of full-time teaching experience.
Minimum required qualifications: At least two of the following:
- Masters degree in education or field of instruction
- 2+ years of full-time teaching experience
- Standard teaching certification
- Secondary teachers must also have an undergraduate or graduate major in their field of instruction OR have passed the required Praxis II exam for their discipline.
Additionally strong candidates have:
- Experience working in urban environments with diverse populations
- Strong knowledge of pedagogy and experience teaching in a constructivist way
- Proven ability to work as a member of a team
- Strong leadership capabilities
- A commitment to their own learning and development
- A commitment to meeting the needs of a diverse population
- Spanish language proficiency
In addition to the above requirements, teachers must meet the requirements of all hires at Capital City including a criminal background check and a negative TB test.
This position is subject to the DC Mayor's Order 2021-109, requiring all adults regularly in schools to be up-to-date on all vaccinations for Covid-19.
About Our School
Capital City was founded in 2000 and currently serves a diverse population of nearly 1,000 students across PK-12th grade. We have been recognized as a model for social, emotional and academic development. Our program emphasizes a commitment to diversity and equity, a strong inclusion model and the integration of arts into the curriculum. We are a credentialed EL Education Mentor School (https://eleducation.org/) in the national network of over 150 schools. Through this model, teachers craft long-term learning expeditions that connect learning to the real-world and incorporate projects, research, fieldwork, and service to support students in meeting rigorous standards. Learn more at www.ccpcs.org.
Capital City is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of the individual's qualifications as related to the requirements of the position being filled.
Compensation and Benefits:
Capital City offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Learn more about our salary and benefits: bit.ly/Salary_Benefits
- Competitive compensation. At Capital City, salaries compensate for experience and qualifications. Teacher salaries are benchmarked regularly against area school districts and other charters. Teachers know how their salary is calculated and what to expect year-to-year. Check out our salary scale here: bit.ly/TeacherSalaryScaleFY21
- Benefits. Capital City invests in a comprehensive benefits package to support the happiness and well-being of staff at all stages of career and life. Benefits include 100% of health insurance covered for full-time employees, up to 6% in retirement contributions, preferred student admission for children of staff living in DC, and support for you and your family when needed.