Are you passionate about teaching math to English language learners? Do you find yourself helping others learn basic math, how to properly read, write and speak English? If so, then Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School (CRIPCS) has the perfect opportunity for you.
Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School (CRIPCS) is an adult charter school that delivers high-quality education, career training, and supportive services that enable adult immigrants to realize their dreams while strengthening our community and economy. When you join the team at CRIPCS, you become part of a unique, performance-driven organization where students are the center of our work and excellence permeates.
The Math Instructor supports the school’s mission by preparing our adult immigrant students to become productive and civically engaged residents of Washington, DC. The instructor provides excellent instruction that supports students’ diverse educational backgrounds, learning styles, and language abilities. The incumbent organizes Math preparation and teaching; and conducts basic literacy assessment and evaluation. The responsibilities of the position in creating materials specific to the assigned level, selecting class textbooks, designing a class syllabus, and writing daily lesson plans to address all student needs directly. The instructor is expected to engage with multiple formal and informal data forms to help students advance academically. Additionally, the role of the Math Instructor requires the management of key data points. Student tracking forms, daily attendance, student scores, and timecards are examples of administrative responsibilities that extend beyond the time spent teaching in the classroom.
• Provide classroom instruction and group participation activities to teach basic math, reading, writing skills, vocabulary, and grammar native and nonnative speakers of English adult learners.
• Assist students in gaining critical thinking skills, problem-solving techniques, and proficiency in numeracy and literacy.
• Use interactive teaching methods including strategies training and differentiated, multisensory activities for a whole class, groups, peer-to-peer, and individuals.
• Utilize technology, including Spark300, interactive boards, Google Drive, and other web-based applications to deliver the curriculum.
• Administer formal and informal assessments, pre/post-tests, and perform other administrative duties
• Develop mastery of MATH materials and subject matter through research, data analysis, and professional development training.
• Work as a member of the GED team to transition Math students to the GED program as appropriate
• Play an active role in helping students persist toward their goals by closely monitoring students' attendance and performance, addressing issues appropriately, following proper procedures in tutoring, homework, etc.
• Design a course syllabus, select class textbooks, prepare lesson materials and instructional aids
• Work with classroom Paraeducator if applicable
• Work with tutors if needed for student success
• Keep daily attendance records current in the Student Information System
• Attend faculty meetings and professional development
• Other related duties assigned
• Must have at least one of the following: Masters’ degree in Adult Education, Teaching, Linguistics, TESOL language studies or related field
• Two to three years of experience teaching adult education to ESL students
• Candidates should be knowledgeable about pedagogy and utilize teaching strategies to support ELLs. Skills for teaching reading to ELL students are fundamental.
• Must have the ability or strong skills to teach math and reading to students
• Demonstrate self-motivation, continual learning, and taking initiative
• Practice professional and practical interpersonal communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently or with others in a team approach
• Demonstrate knowledge and competence in both MATH preparation and Adult Education
• Must be flexible and able to make adaptations to meet the academic needs of students with different learning skills and challenges
• Work comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds
• Excellent communication skills, be able to explain concepts to others effectively
• Excellent organizational skills and timely completion of tasks
• Knowledge and experience using Windows, and Microsoft Applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Outlook
• Knowledge and experience using on-line teaching platforms such as interactive boards, Google Drive, and other web-based applications
• Must be able to provide proof of completed Covid-19 vaccination
• Deep commitment to CRIPCS's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners
Please submit your application on Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School’s career page at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=33b607f4-564d-4335-b098-98dd2b218da4&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=431006&source=CC2&lang=en_US. This position will be open until filled.