Middle School Science Teacher
Middle School Science Teachers at Capital City:
- Plan for and teach daily classes for students (class size 18-20 students)
- Utilize a workshop or 5Es model to differentiate instruction and promote engagement
- Develop learning expeditions, curriculum, and projects
- Lead an Intensives class (10-15 students) to focus specifically on areas of need/remediation or extension in Math.
- Regularly assess student progress and use data to plan for instruction
- Meet and plan at least weekly with a grade level team
- Serve as an advisor to 10-14 students by leading a daily “Crew,” helping to develop the social curriculum, and supporting advisees through regular parent communication
- Collaborate with staff and students to implement consistent structures and develop traditions at our school
- Involve students in fieldwork and service that deepens understanding and interest
- Support students with completing portfolios and meeting passage requirements
- Attend a summer institute and weekly professional development sessions
- Complete narrative progress reports and maintain an online standards based grading gradebook.
Capital City seeks to employ experienced, credentialed teachers. Ideal candidates have a Master’s degree and 3+ years of full-time teaching experience.
Minimum required qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and at least one of the following:
- A major in education or field of instruction or equivalent 30 semester hours of credit
- District of Columbia teaching license in field of instruction
- Two years of verifiable teaching experience as a teacher of record
- One year as a support teacher at Capital City and enrollment in a teacher education or certification program
Additionally strong candidates have:
- A commitment to meeting the needs of a diverse population
- Experience working in urban environments
- Strong knowledge of pedagogy and experience teaching in a constructivist way
- Proven ability to work as a member of a team
- Strong leadership capabilities
- A commitment to their own learning.
In addition to the above requirements, teachers must meet the requirements of all hires at Capital City including a criminal background check.
Compensation and Benefits:
Capital City offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Learn more about our salary and benefits: bit.ly/Salary_Benefits
- Competitive compensation. At Capital City, salaries compensate for experience and qualifications. Teacher salaries are benchmarked regularly against area school districts and other charters. Teachers know how their salary is calculated and what to expect year-to-year. Check out our salary scale here: bit.ly/TeacherSalaryScaleFY24
- Benefits. Capital City invests in a comprehensive benefits package to support the happiness and well-being of staff at all stages of career and life. Benefits include 100% of health insurance covered for full-time employees, up to 6% in retirement contributions, preferred student admission for children of staff living in DC, and support for you and your family when needed.
About Our School
Capital City was founded in 2000 and currently serves a diverse population of nearly 1,000 students across PK-12th grade. We have been recognized as a model for social, emotional and academic development. Our program emphasizes a commitment to diversity and equity, a strong inclusion model and the integration of arts into the curriculum. We are a credentialed EL Education Mentor School (https://eleducation.org/) in the national network of over 150 schools. Through this model, teachers craft long-term learning expeditions that connect learning to the real-world and incorporate projects, research, fieldwork, and service to support students in meeting rigorous standards. Learn more at www.ccpcs.org.
Capital City is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of the individual's qualifications as related to the requirements of the position being filled.