Middle School/High School Building Substitute Teachers
A Building Substitute at Capital City:
Capital City seeks to employ building substitutes who will play a critical role in covering for teachers when they are on leave. The role provides an opportunity to learn and gain experience across several grades and disciplines. Building Substitutes will be fully a part of the staff and program at Capital City and supported by colleagues and administrators. Ideal candidates have a passion for and interest in education and a desire to learn and be part of a team. Reports daily to the school building.
• Middle School Subs: 8:00am-4:00pm
• High School Subs: 8:30am-4:30pm
• Our Substitute Teachers report to the campus Instructional Coach and responsibilities include:
• Supporting in the classroom as a single lead teacher or co-teacher in all subject areas when a teacher is absent
• Implementing lesson plans and delivering effective instruction to students
• Collaborating with colleagues to improve the learning of all students
• Creating a positive and productive classroom environment by employing classroom management skills consistent with the EL Education Model and Developmental Designs practices.
• Serving as a leader or co-leader for an Advisory or Crew, a group of 10-12 students who meet daily with a teacher. Supporting positive student behavior and classroom and school culture
• Communicating with teachers who are absent to secure plans when possible and provide a summary of how classes went to ensure continuity of instruction
• Building substitutes are active member of the Capital City Staff through:
• Participating in regular staff meetings to discuss and maintain a productive working relationships
• Participating in professional development sessions
• Taking on other responsibilities and duties as assigned; we live by the motto “we are crew” at Capital City
This position is subject to the DC Mayor's Order 2021-109, requiring all adults regularly in schools to be vaccinated for Covid-19.
• Bachelor’s degree; education major preferred
• 1+ years experience working with students in a teaching or leadership role
Spanish fluency is preferred, but not required.
In addition to the above requirements, staff members must meet the requirements of all hires at Capital City including a criminal background check and a negative TB test.