School Counselor / Social Worker SY 22-23
ABOUT PERRY STREET PREP
Perry Street Prep serves 400+ PreK, elementary and middle school students in Northeast DC. We are a community of diverse learners, with students from all eight wards of the city, that builds relationships with families and empowers students to be college-ready and to thrive in a global society. Our goal is to provide every student, PreK-8th grade, with the knowledge, the attitudes and the support they will need to succeed in rigorous high schools and beyond.
Perry Street Prep students have PRIDE: perseverance, respect, integrity, dependability, and excellence. Our school culture emphasizes PRIDE qualities, and our faculty and staff help our students strive to embody them.
Our diverse, committed, and driven staff have led Perry Street Prep to become one of the highest performing schools in Washington, DC. In 2019, we earned the distinction of Tier I, the highest performance rating given by the DC Public Charter School Board, designation as an ESEA Distinguished School by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education for exceptional student achievement by our students with disabilities, and the selection as a 2019 Bold Performance School by EmpowerK12.
For additional information about Perry Street Prep, visit pspdc.org.
WORKING AT PERRY STREET PREP
Perry Street Prep is seeking a Social Worker or School Counselor to support the social-emotional needs of our scholars in PreK-8th Grade. We are looking for a highly dedicated professional who has experience in urban education settings and who undoubtedly has a "whatever it takes" attitude to help children succeed.
The Social Worker/Counselor will be responsible for duties in the following areas:
- Counseling students individually and in groups
- Completing diagnostic assessments to identify student need and making referrals as appropriate
- Collaborating with teaching staff to determine the best setting to meet students' needs (i.e., individual counseling, social skill development groups, mentoring classes), and meeting with faculty and staff on an ongoing basis to help measure progress and discuss strategies for students requiring support services
- Responding to classroom crisis and assumes lead role in resolving crises
- Serving as a member of school-based teams to support scholars and provide confidential guidance to faculty and staff
- Serving as advocate for parents and families in need
- Conducting home visits when necessary
- Collaborating with outside agencies to share information and ensure creation of seamless service delivery plans for students
- Completing confidential written reports of all cases and meetings
- Writing reports as required by federal, state, or local agencies, laws, and regulations
- Maintaining in a secure location up-to-date confidential files on every student who receives counseling
- Making oral presentations of assessments, diagnostics, and observations, in accordance with all confidentiality laws and regulations
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- Master’s or Doctorate in social work, counseling, psychology or related field required
- Licensed or certified in the District of Columbia preferred
- Minimum of two years clinical experience required; experience working as a school counselor or social worker in school-based settings, preferably urban or alternative school settings
- Energetic, flexible, creative, innovative individual who can develop strengths-based, student-centered support plans that boost learning for students
- Ability to collaborate with families, school staff, neighboring schools, and community
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask, follow-through and work as a member of a multidisciplinary team
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Perry Street Prep offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Do you believe that every child deserves the right to a high quality education? Do you want to prepare students for unlimited global opportunities? Apply today!
In accordance with Mayor's Order 2021-109, Perry Street Preparatory Public Charter School requires all staff to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Perry Street Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The School’s EEO policy prohibits discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Perry Street Prep prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities and will reasonably accommodate applicants with a disability, upon request, and will also ensure reasonable accommodation for employees with a disability. Under this policy, equal employment opportunity is required in recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as required by applicable law.