Washington, DC — As public charter school students across the District return to in-person learning five days a week this school year, two new public charter schools - a dual language school and a school focusing on military families living on Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) - will welcome students for the first time.
This year more than 43,000 students will attend one of the 133 public charter schools operated by one of the 68 nonprofits across the city. These schools educate PK-12 and adult students that live in every ward.
Two New Innovative Schools Open
- Global Citizens PCS is a dual-language public charter elementary that will “immerse [students] in the Mandarin and Spanish languages, promote the value of diversity, and equip them with the knowledge, skills, and mindsets they need to contribute to a better world.”
- LEARN DC PCS is an early childhood campus on the Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB), serving students on base and in adjacent neighborhoods. LEARN DC is the first school in the region to focus on the unique needs of military families.
New School Principals + Executive Directors
As we begin another school year, several school leaders will reach a milestone of educating and serving students and working in education for a decade or more.
Inspired Teaching Demonstration PCS
- Dr. Sundai Riggins is the new Head of School at Inspired Teaching Demonstration PCS. She has more than 20 years of leadership experience across public charter, traditional, and private schools.
The Social Justice PCS
- Myron Long, the founder and Executive Director of The Social Justice PCS, is entering his 16th year working in education. While the Principal Brandon Johnson is entering his 11th year working with students and families.
E.L. Haynes PCS (Elementary)
- Elementary School Principal Brittany Wagner-Friel is entering her 15th year at E.L. Haynes PCS. Wagner-Friel joined E.L. Haynes in 2007 as a teaching fellow and has since expanded her impact within the Tier 1 elementary school as a special education teacher, Assistant Principal, and now Principal.
E.L. Haynes PCS (High School)
- High School Principal Emily Hueber Stoetzer is celebrating her 10th year at E.L. Haynes PCS. Principal Stoetzer began her career at E.L. Haynes as a 9th and 10th grade Math teacher, became an Assistant Principal, and now leads their Tier 1 high school.
Early Childhood Academy PCS
- As an educator for more than 20 years, Pamela Faulcon strongly believes that developing relationships with students, families, and staff is critical in maintaining a successful school. Principal Faulcon has served as a teacher, mentor, Instructional Coach, Director of Curriculum & Instruction, Assistant Principal, and now Principal. She is in her 13th year at Early Childhood Academy PCS.
- DuRay Stevens is the new Principal at Meridian PCS this school year. Principal Stevens has been the Assistant Principal and teacher at several different public charter schools in DC.
DC Bilingual PCS
- Head of School Daniela Anello will celebrate her 13th year working in education, where for the last six years, she has been the leader of DC Bilingual.
Friendship PCS welcomed four new school leaders:
- Diamond Harris will enter her 13th year as Principal in the Friendship PCS network. This year she will lead Friendship PCS - Chamberlain Elementary.
- John Snowdy will serve as Principal at Friendship PCS - Ideal Elementary and Middle. He was previously the Principal at Friendship PCS - Southeast Middle School.
- David Lawery has worked in education for 13 years and will be the Principal at Friendship PCS - Southeast Elementary this school year. He taught at Friendship PCS - Blow Pierce Middle School and was the instructional specialist at Friendship PCS - Woodridge Elementary and Middle and Friendship PCS - Blow Pierce Elementary and Middle.
- Erica Stevens has more than ten years of experience in education. Of those ten years, she has spent the last three years as a Principal at Friendship PCS. She will be the Principal at Friendship PCS - Woodridge.
Rocketship PCS - Infinity Community Prep
- Paige Lester is the Principal at Rocketship Infinity Community Prep PCS. She is in her 12th year in education and 2nd year as a school leader at Rocketship PCS.
The following schools will expand their quality programs by adding a new grade this school year:
• Breakthrough Montessori PCS - will educate students in grade 4
• Capital Village PCS - will educate students in grade 7
• Cedar Tree Academy PCS - will educate students in grade 2
• Cesar Chavez PCS for Public Policy - will educate students in grade 7
• DC Prep PCS - Anacostia Middle School - will educate students in grade 5
• Digital Pioneers Academy PCS - will educate students in grade 9
• Elsie Whitlow Stokes Community Freedom PCS - East End - will educate students through grade 3
• Girls Global Academy PCS - will educate students in grade 10
• Harmony DC PCS - School of Excellence - will educate students in PK3 and PK4
• I Dream PCS - will educate students in grade 3
• Ingenuity Prep PCS - will educate students in grade 8
• KIPP DC - Pride Academy PCS - will educate students in grades PK3 through Kindergarten.
• KIPP DC - Inspire Academy PCS - will educate students in grades 1 through 4
• Lee Montessori PCS - East End - will educate students in grade 1
• Mundo Verde Bilingual PCS - Calle Ocho - will educate students in grade 2
• Rocketship PCS - Infinity Community Prep - will educate students in grade 3
• Social Justice PCS - will educate students in grade 7
• Statesmen College Prep Academy for Boys PCS - will educate students in grade 7
• The Sojourner Truth School PCS - will educate students in grade 8
Learn more about all the diverse public charter school programs by visiting the School Profiles for each school, and for a complete list of the start of school dates, click here.