In-Person, Remote or Hybrid: The Operating Status for DC Public Charter Schools
Here’s the breakdown:
- 5 Hybrid
- 5 Hybrid Adult
- 61 Virtual & Limited In Person
- 15 Virtual & Learning Hubs
- 42 Fully Virtual
Operating Status Definitions
- Hybrid: building open for on-site teaching (teacher instructing in front of students) at least 4 days a week, building closed only 1 day a week. No limit on number of students attending in person each day. Schools could offer enrichment, tutoring, or 1:1 meetings as a supplement to the 4+ days instruction. But to qualify for the category, students must be in the building learning from a live teacher 4+ days a week.
- Virtual & Learning Hubs: building open for students to learn online (no on-site live teaching). Also known as CARE classrooms. No limit on number of students attending each day. Students could be coming in for some enrichment, 1:1 meetings, or special ed services but the majority of students are doing virtual learning in the building.
- Virtual & Limited In Person: building open for on-site live teaching between 1-3 days a week. This category should also be used for students in buildings for “only” enrichment, tutoring, 1:1 meetings, special education services (anything delivered by a teacher/staff in person less than hybrid model but not offering onsite virtual learning). No limit on number of students attending each day.
- Fully Virtual: buildings are not open for on-site teaching nor learning hubs nor enrichment, tutoring, or 1:1 meetings.
- Hybrid Adult – Specialized category for adult learners (ages 16 and up) that offer particular programs onsite. Could have students distance learning as well.